Annual Pinot vs. Burgundy Charity Party
Each year Rio Crest is the site of an amazing party. It started many years ago with a
small group of wine enthusiasts, gathering together to blind taste and rate selected
French Burgundy and California Pinot Noir. It was a great night out for friends and
significant others, filled with laughter, stories, great food and all around fun. That
core group still does several blind tastings through the year with interesting twists
like "Kings of Cali" versus "Best of Bordeaux".
With Peggy and Kevin moving to Rio Crest, the party venue changed for Pinot vs.
Burgundy. What could be a more appropriate place than the heart of Russian River to hold
a Pinot party? We decided to invite a few local winemakers and growers to lend their
Well, that was the start ... and it grew. Today it is known as one of the biggest
annual parties in Sonoma. A guest local chef prepares food for what is now about 110 of
our friends. Peggy and Kevin @ Rio Crest sponsor the party with help from our friends
and guests. Attendance is invite-only and all we ever ask is for charitable
contributions made direct to our selected charity. If you are interested in attending,
2014 Pinot vs. Burgundy, August 23rd, 3:00pm - ?
This Event is currently full but you can join the wait list by
requesting through our web site.
Each year we try to out do the last year, a feat that is not easy to accomplish. Last
year's party was staffed by the wonderful Zin Restaurant. This
year, we are so happy to have zazu kitchen + farm, with Duskie Estes and
John Stewart pulling together a stunning menu. The initial Burgundy list is complete and
this year the Rio Crest site will host a web site for guests to
access tasting notes about each wine and for guests to enter their votes.
This year we have selected West County Health Centers as the charity
for the party. The centers provide over $1 million dollars of uncompensated care for
low-income and uninsured patients. More than 40% of their patients are living at or
below the federal poverty level. West County delivers health care to a significant
cross-section of our community including elementary age children whose parents cannot
otherwise afford the medical care needed to keep them healthy and active in schools;
those who are not accepted elsewhere due to HIV/AIDS, homelessness, mental illness or
addiction; and those in the community who lack the financial resources to pay for
quality health care.
Visit their website to donate for the party. Use the buttons
under "Rio Crest Event". The recommended minimum donation for those attending is
- bacon in the batter "fwaffles" + blackberry n maple
- albacore tombo tuna crudo "fish + chip", sebastopol mushroom, avocado
- black pig salumi antipasti w/ roasted + marinated vegetables, crostini
- farmstead cheeses + condimenti
- whole pig roast w/ tostada bar
- sweet corn + sungold salad
- lamb sausages on stick w/ salsa verde
- bruleed macbryde peaches, burrata, arugula
- watermelon, prosciutto di zazu, backyard basil, redwood hill goat cheese,
- black pig bacon smores
- raspberry + Russian River Valley Pinot sorbetto in tiny cones
- pinot budino
- watermelon lemonade
- macbryde peach iced
- taylor maid coffee
- 2001 Vougeraie Nuits St Georges 'les Corvees Pagets'
- 2007 Camille Giroud Corton 'Rognet' Grand Cru
- 2008 Dupont Tisserandot Charmes Chambertin Grand Cru
- 2009 Joseph Drouhin Morey St Denis
- 2009 Michel Mallard Ladoix 'les Joyeuses' 1er Cru
- 2009 Thibault Liger Belair Hautes Cotes de Nuits 'Clos du Prieure'
- 2009 Jean Claude Boisset Nuits St Georges 'les Charbonnieres'
- 2009 Agnes Paquet Pommard 'les Combes'
- 2009 Taupenot Merme Auxey Duresses 1er Cru
- 2009 Louis Latour Beaune les Vignes Franches
- 2009 Rene Leclerc Gevrey Chambertin 'Champeaux'
- 2010 Vincent Girardin Pommard Vieilles Vignes
- 2010 Comte Armand Auxey Duresses 1er Cru
- 2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay
- 2010 Rossignol Trapet Savigny les Beaune 'Bas Liards'
- 2010 Michel Magnien Gevrey Chambertin 'les Goulots'
- 2010 Bouchard Pere et Fils Beaune Marconnets
- 2010 Thierry Matrot Monthelie
- 2010 Thomas Morey Maranges 'la Fussiere'
- 2010 Jean Marc Boillot Volnay 'Clos Carelle Sous Chapelle'
- 2010 Mongeard Mugneret Vougeot 'les Cras'
- 2011 Pousse d'Or Volnay 'En Caillerets'
- 2011 Frederic Esmonin Pernand Vergelesses
- 2011 Louis Jadot Corton 'Pougets' Grand Cru
- 2004 Anthill Farms, Demuth Vineyard
- 2007 Talisman Pinot Noir, Mystery Vineyard
- 2007 Anthill Farms, Tina Marie Vineyard
- 2007 Inspiration Vineyards Pinot Noir, Los Carneros
- 2008 Skewis Pinot Noir, Salzgeber-Chan Vineyard
- 2008 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir, Central Coast
- 2010 Hop Kiln / HKG Wines Pinot Noir
- 2010 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir, Klopp Ranch
- 2011 Hop Kiln / HKG Wines Pinot Noir North Bridge
- 2012 Littorai, Platt Vineyard
- 2012 Dutton-Goldfield, Azaya Ranch Vineyard
- 2012 Berkstone, English Hill Vineyard
- 2012 Bluxome Street Winery Pinot Noir, Balinard Vineyard
- 2012 Rio Crest, Tina Marie Vineyard
- 2012 Kosta Browne, Russian River Valley
- 2012 Williams Seylem, Russian River Valley
- 2012 A.P. Vin Pinot Noir, Ridgetop Vineyard
- 2012 TR Elliott Pinot Noir, Queste
- 2012 Benovia Pinot Noir, Cohn Vineyard
- 2012 Bluxome Street Winery Pinot Noir, Hurst Vineyard
- 2012 Benziger Family Winery Pinot Noir de Coelo, Quintus Vineyard
- 2012 Benziger Family Winery Pinot Noir de Coelo, Terra Neuma
- 2012 Benziger Family Winery Pinot Noir de Coelo, Arbore Sacra
- 2013 Berkstone, Balinard Vineyard
*This list will grow as folks sign-up, check back regularly and we'll also have
write-in votes for the last minute bottles